Help for Kids

Are you being abused? If punishment regularly causes bleeding, or leaves marks on your body, you may be a victim of physical abuse. If you are under 18 and unwillingly providing sexual gratification to someone, you may be a victim of child sexual abuse. You can check for signs and symptoms of abuse here:

Signs and Symptoms:

Physical Abuse

Sexual Abuse

Emotional Abuse


If this is happening to you. here are some important things for you to know:

  • No one has the right to abuse you.
  • You don’t deserve to be abused.
  • If you are being abused, you are a victim.
  • It’s not your fault that you are being treated this way.
  • It is wrong that you are suffering this pain, fear or sadness.
  • You are not alone. Other kids suffer abuse, too.
  • Sometimes abusers scare or threaten kids so they won’t tell.
  • There are people who care about you and want to help you.

If you are being abused, please tell a safe person – that’s someone you can trust like a teacher, counselor, school nurse, neighbor or parent.

There are places you can call for advice and help, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:

Childhelp USA Hotline counselors can help you. They work with translators, and there is probably one that speaks your language. They don’t know who you are and you don’t have to tell them. CALL 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) then push 1 to talk to a hotline counselor.

The Runaway Hotline can help if you have run away or are thinking about it. They help you help yourself by talking through your problems and helping you find a plan of action. CALL 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). They can help you find a safe place to go.

How to protect yourself:

  • Do not be alone with anyone who hurts you.
  • Listen to the little voice inside when it says that what is being done to you isn’t right.
  • Find an adult you trust and tell them what is happening. If the first adult doesn’t believe you, keep telling until someone does believe you.

The adult you talk to about your abuse may want to tell the police or child protective services about the person who is hurting you. If they don’t know the telephone number to call to make the report, they should call Justice for Children at 1-800-733-0059, or call 1-800-4-A-CHILD. The hotline counselors can give them the number to call where you live.